We are going to discuss ways of how to get rid of genital warts. Genital warts are considered a very contagious sexually transmitted disease. They are also known as venereal warts. The disease is symptomized by the appearance of warts on or around the human genitals. Warts itch a lot but are painless. It is important to note that the warts are not only restricted to the genital organs but can also be found on other organs that take part in sexual activity. For example, those who engage in oral sex are likely to have warts on the lips, tongue or throat. Genital warts are not like common warts. They are flesh-colored soft growths that feel like soft bumps with a shape that mimics the top of cauliflower.
What causes genital warts?
Genital warts are caused by some particular strands of a virus known as the Human Papilloma Virus (HPV) which is well known to cause cervical cancer in women.
Primarily, the HPV virus is spread during sexual intimacy, and hence, sexual intercourse becomes the primary predisposing factor for genital warts
Here are ways in which one is likely to contract genital warts:
- Engaging in unprotected sexual intimacy
- Sexual intimacy with infected persons
- Unprotected sexual intimacy with multiple sex partners
- Engaging in sexual activity from a very young age
- Existence of other infections such as HIV or herpes
What are the symptoms of genital warts?
There are particular symptoms unique to genital warts. Knowledge of these unique features will help one identify genital warts and not confuse it with any other skin condition like psoriasis or dermatitis, which manifest with more or less similar symptoms. These symptoms are:
- Soft bumps
- Appearance resembling small cauliflower heads
- Flesh-colored look
There are times during which one may experience some other peculiar symptoms, albeit rarely. These are:
- Itchy sensation on the inside or around the genitalia
- Increase in moisture on and around the genitals
- One bleeds after sexual intercourse
- Increased vaginal discharge
Because the biological makeup of both men and women is different, the above symptoms will appear on various parts of the respective genders’ genitalia.
In men, venereal warts might be observed:
- On penis
- On scrotum
- The groin region, including the thighs
- Inside or outside the anus
In women, genital warts may grow:
- On the cervix
- Inside or outside the birth canal
- Internally or externally on the anus
As it was mentioned earlier, genital warts can also grow on other organs involved in sexual activity, for instance, the mouth in the case of oral sex.back to menu ↑
How to get rid of genital warts at home
If not treated, genital warts could become a source of lots of discomfort, besides making you feel embarrassed. Unlike common warts, genital warts are not curable since the human papilloma virus has no cure. In the case of people with a healthy immune system, the symptoms of genital warts may go away after several days or weeks. In the event of a weak immune system, where symptoms persist, medical treatment of genital warts only serves to remove warts, but their non-recurrence cannot be guaranteed. This recurrence is regardless of whether a medical physician is involved or not. We are now going to discuss how to get rid of genital warts at home with the aid of homemade remedies.back to menu ↑
10 Best Home remedies for genital warts and how to use them
Some methods used by physicians to treat genital warts are very harsh and don’t provide an assurance of non-recurrence. Besides the ability to eliminate genital warts completely, these homemade remedies for genital warts come cheap, and you may even be having them in your kitchen. Some of them can give a quick reprieve from the condition. Here is a detailed list of 10 best home remedies for genital warts that will show you how to get rid of genital warts fast using natural remedies.
- Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV).
Apple cider vinegar is perhaps the most widely used home remedy for the treatment of genital warts. Its use is backed by scientific research that has proven that vinegar is effective in warts treatment. As a matter of fact, vinegar is employed in the identification of cervical cancer. Do not use apple cider vinegar to treat warts if you are allergic to acetic acid. Follow these steps in the treatment of genital warts using ACV.
- Clean the inflicted area and pour a few drops of apple cider vinegar on a cotton ball. Hold the cotton ball against the wart. Use a medical tape to assist you to hold the ball in place. Leave it throughout the night and wash it off the next day. Repeat the process after you have taken a bath. Remove the cotton ball in the evening.
- Despite not being allergic to acetic acid, you may find that the procedure described above is painful. In that case, try applying apple cider vinegar for about 10 minutes and repeat the same several times during the day.
- Continue for several weeks until the warts are no more.
- Pineapple juice
Pineapple juice has been used over a long time in the treatment of inflamed skin as a result of having psoriasis, acne, and dermatitis. The juice from a pineapple contains bromelain – a very beneficial enzyme in the treatment of genital warts whereby the genital warts are broken down. Besides bromelain, pineapple juice also contains manganese that heals scars that result from the removal of warts, making it one of the best natural remedies for genital warts. Use these steps to get rid of genital warts using pineapple juice.
- Cut a fresh pineapple into pieces and squeeze juice from them. Do not use the juice from canned pineapples due to the presence of preservatives.
- Pour some drops of the juice onto a cotton swab and place the swab on warts. You should first clean the affected area. Hold the swab in contact with the wart for about 10 minutes.
- Wipe the juice after the 10 minutes are over.
- Castor oil
Castor oil is rich in complex compounds which enable the oil to be used as a homemade remedy for genital warts. Castor oil is well known for its repulsive smell. You can almost not swallow a teaspoonful of it even with your eyes closed. If the oil is the only thing you have, don’t worry. You can mix it with peppermint oil, lemon oil or fish oil, without worrying about getting different results.
- Smear a thin layer of the castor oil on genital warts before retiring to bed. Ensure to apply it even on the surrounding skin.
- Slice a clove of garlic and cover the wart you have applied oil to. Hold it in place using a tape or a bandage. Leave it overnight.
- Remove the reinforcement in the morning.
- Repeat this procedure for the next 2-3 weeks. Within this period, genital warts will turn dark and eventually fall off.
- Witch hazel
The astringent nature of witch hazel makes it a recommendable herb for home treatment of genital warts. It causes genital warts to shrink and fall off after some time. Additionally, the herb prevents the spread of genital warts. Its ability to cut off the supply of blood to these undesirable tissues inhibits their growth. Try these steps in the treatment of genital warts using witch hazel.
- Apply pure distilled witch hazel solution on your warts and leave for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the excess solution by wiping it off with a clean dry towel after 10 minutes are over.
- Repeat the procedure twice every day for about two weeks. If venereal warts persist even after the initial two weeks of treatment, continue the above routine until you have gotten rid of all warts.
- Banana peel
A banana peel is yet another natural remedy for genital warts. It contains polyphenol oxidase, which is an enzyme, that offers effective treatment for genital warts. Polyphenol oxidase dissolves venereal warts without causing any harm to the skin. To get rid of genital warts:
- Cut a piece of a banana peel that will be enough to cover warts.
- Place the piece of the peel in such a way that the inside is against your warts. Hold it in place using a bandage or a tape.
- Leave it overnight and remove it the next day in the morning.
- Repeat the above process for the next two weeks or until all warts fall off.
- Tea tree oil
Tea tree oil is yet another effective home remedy for genital warts. It boasts of excellent antiviral and anti-fungal properties. The good antiseptic capabilities of tea tree oil make it a choice of many people seeking to save their skins from the scourge of genital warts. Tea tree oil is so strong that it cannot be applied in its pure form. Before using tea tree oil, dilute it with a carrier oil, like olive oil, and follow the steps below to get rid of genital warts.
- Dilute tea tree oil with a carrier oil like almond or olive oil. For example, let the ratio of olive oil to tea tree oil be 1:4.
- Apply the diluted concoction on genital warts with the help of a cotton ball and do it several times during the day.
- Repeat this until all genital warts have fallen off your skin.
- Add about six drops of pure tea tree oil to a bathtub full of warm water.
- Soak yourself in the treated water for a maximum of 20 minutes. Repeat this several times each day for about two weeks or until your genital warts have disappeared altogether.
Garlic is probably one of the most readily available natural remedies for genital warts. Nearly everybody uses garlic when cooking. It has superior ability to fight viral infections. Before you can use garlic to treat genital warts, proceed as follows:
- Crush about 10 peeled cloves of garlic into a paste.
- Apply the paste to your genital warts and cover with a bandage.
- Leave undisturbed for one hour after which you wash off the paste with water.
- Repeat this routine every day until you have eliminated genital warts.
- Aloe Vera
Aloe Vera has an impeccable reputation for being a very skin friendly herb. Furthermore, it has been utilized in the treatment of medical conditions, such as diabetes. Here we are going to discuss how it can be employed as a homemade remedy for genital warts.
- Rub some Aloe Vera gel onto the areas of your skin inflicted by genital warts. Do it many times during the day.
- In the evening, apply the Aloe Vera generously to the affected skin before sleeping. Cover with a tape or a bandage so that it will remain covered overnight.
- Repeat the above steps for up to 3 weeks or until such a time that warts will have been removed.
As opposed to popular belief, potatoes are very nutritious. They contain plenty of vitamin C, potassium and a variety of antioxidants. Potatoes are readily available, which makes them a very cheap and straightforward natural remedy for genital warts.
- Cut thick slices from 1 or 2 potatoes. Rub the slices on genital warts.
- Repeat this several times each day for at least two weeks. Observe whether there is any positive difference in the treatment.
Thanks to their excellent anti-microbial properties, onions is also an important home treatment for genital warts.
- Slice an onion and place the slice over warts. To hold it in place, use a medical tape. Change the dressing after some hours.
- Salt combined with onions can also be used to increase the effectiveness of the treatment. Cut several onions into fine slices and sprinkle a tablespoonful of salt over them. Cover it and leave it overnight. In the morning, create a fine paste of the mixture by blending it. You can now apply the paste on warts and then cover it with a tape.
Precautions to take during home treatment for genital warts
When using a home treatment for genital warts, heed these precautions to ease and increase the effectiveness of the treatment:
- Avoid touching genital warts
- Avoid pricking genital warts
- Do not engage in unprotected sex
- Apply the homemade remedies to the affected areas only
- Always clean the affected area before applying treatment
- Always wear clean undergarments
- Wear underwear made from cotton
- Maintain a dry environment around your genitals
- Regularly soak yourself in a bathtub full of warm water
Genital warts could be embarrassing at times. Seeking medical treatment in hospitals becomes very involving on top of being expensive. Home remedy for genital warts becomes the only available option. With this treatment, you use natural remedies available at the reach and comfort of your kitchen or garden to treat your genital warts. Consider these homemade remedies, as some of them are solutions to get rid of genital warts fast.