Essential oils for sunburn capture the healing essence of chosen plants that can help your skin cells regenerate into their natural healthy form once again. Each and every one of us has been a victim of sunburn that is characterized by the redness, irritation, pain and inflammation of the skin tissue.
That being said, not every sun damage is necessarily visible as the UV rays are capable of penetrating the epidermis and modifying our DNA. The dangers don’t end here as such DNA modification can lead to premature aging and skin cancer, even fatal melanoma.
Table of contents
- 1 5 Essential oils for sunburn
- 2 4 Essential oil recipes for the sunburn treatment
- 3 Conclusion
- 4 Sources and References
If your overexposure to the sun has caused your skin to burn, no worries, the world of nature still offers plenty of natural remedies that are capable of healing the disturbed tissue without any side effects.
Fortunately enough, these serious health risks can be easily avoided by protecting the skin with sunscreen that has sun protection factor (SPF) at least 30+ and with clothes that are capable of blocking the UV radiation.
5 Essential oils for sunburn
Lavender essential oil
Lavender oil for sunburn carries antiseptic and antifungal qualities that come in handy when treating wounds, cuts and burns caused by different environmental factors, including the UV radiation. These two crucial qualities speed up the cell regeneration process because they keep the exposed tissue free of bacteria and infections.
Furthermore, lavender essential oil is well known for its calming scent and formula that are capable of relieving the body from stress in mind and pain in muscles, joints and other aching parts of the body, including those affected by sun damage.
The healing properties don’t end here as the lavender oil for burns improves the blood circulation that efficiently supplies aching areas with necessary oxygen and nutrients for quicker and effortless recovery.
Geranium essential oil
Geranium essential oil for sunburn is an excellent natural remedy for treating the redness, pain, swelling and irritation associated with sun damage as the antibacterial and antimicrobial qualities found in every drop of the oil keep the open wounds free of environmental toxins that are known for causing the infections.
In addition, the cicatrizant nature of the geranium essential oil successfully helps the scars, discoloration, and spots caused by the UV rays fade away by simply improving the blood circulation right under the surface of the skin. This attribute comes in handy when desiring a smooth and youthful appearance of the skin.
Furthermore, the valuable cytophylacitic attribute of the oil that promotes the replacement of dead skin cells with the line of new, healthy ones will make sure your burnt skin peels away accordingly, without any complications.
Chamomile essential oil
Chamomile essential oil has been fully embraced by the cosmetics industry due to its cicatrisant nature that keeps the skin free of scars, spots and other imperfections that may contribute to the look of aged skin. This particular quality of the oil comes in handy when treating sun damage caused by the aggressive UV rays that not only damage the skin pigmentation but also dry out the epidermis, giving it the wrinkly appearance.
Furthermore, the antiseptic and antibiotic qualities that enrich the formula make sure that sensitive and exposed burnt skin tissue doesn’t get affected by the environmental bacterium that may cause the infections.
The German chamomile essential oil, on top of all these healing properties, also provides the anti-inflammatory service that is capable of soothing the disturbed nerves in most affected areas, giving every patient a much-needed relief from pain.
Tea tree essential oil
Tea tree essential oil for burns carries balsamic properties that encourage absorption of the nutrients from the food. And what role do nutrients play in the treatment of sunburns? Well, the acquired vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin A, C, and E, and zinc enrich the bloodstream that as a transportation device efficiently delivers nourishment necessary for skin cell growth to the damaged epidermis.
Furthermore, the irreplaceable antibacterial, antimicrobial, antiviral and antiseptic attributes of the oil keep the wounds free of toxins and radicals that may slow the self-regeneration mechanisms down.
In addition to these healing properties, the overall stimulating nature of the tea tree essential oil also promotes the secretion of the hormones and blood circulation that are two main necessities for establishing a functioning immune system whose main responsibility is to protect the body from internal as well as the external dangers.
Peppermint essential oil
Peppermint essential oil is another excellent natural remedy for treating the inflamed, red, burnt skin as the cooling ability that oil generates can easily calm and soothe the disturbed nerves in damaged skin tissue down. The presence of calcium additionally helps relieve the pain and swelling that the harmful UV rays cause.
Speaking of minerals and nutrients, peppermint essential oil is also enriched with manganese, magnesium, iron, potassium Vitamin A, C and omega-3 fatty acids that are components known for having a positive impact on human immunity and metabolism.
Natural chemicals will not only help you recover faster but also help you develop resistance against harmful internal as well as the external factors whether those be UV rays, free radicals or bacterium.
In addition, such influential nature of the peppermint oil can be used for the alleviation of the headaches and migraines caused by intense sunlight as well.
4 Essential oil recipes for the sunburn treatment
Basic essential oil sunburn treatment
- 4 tsp of Aloe Vera gel or 8 tsp of yogurt
- 20 drops of lavender essential oil
- In a nonreactive bowl mix all ingredients in exact measurements together to create one homogenous compound.
- With a cotton ball apply the treatment on the surface of your sunburn.
Lavender oil sunburn balm
- 1 teaspoon of Aloe Vera gel
- 1 teaspoon of sea buckthorn oil
- 15 drops of lavender essential oil
- In a glass bowl mix all ingredients in exact measurements together to create one homogenous compound.
- With a cotton ball apply the balm on the sun burnt areas of the skin.
- Leave the balm on the skin for at least 20 minutes.
- Rinse off the treatment with water.
- Repeat the process twice a day till the sunburn is completely healed.
Calming milk bath
- 8 drops of lavender essential oil
- 8 drops of chamomile essential oil
- 15 ml of milk
- Mix all ingredients in exact measurements together.
- Fill your bathtub with cold water and add the given mixture to it.
- Make sure the blend is completely dispersed in water.
- Soak in the water for at least 15 minutes.
Simple lavender compress
- 2 cups of cold water
- 4 to 6 drops of lavender or chamomile essential oil
- In a nonreactive bowl mix all ingredients in exact measurements together. Make sure you disperse the oils thoroughly.
- Soak a cloth in infused water and wring the excessive liquid out.
- Apply the cloth to the sun burnt skin.
Here are the last 8 lifestyle and essential oil treatment tips that will help you preserve your skin’s health and beauty.
- Prevention is better than treatment; therefore protect your skin with sunscreen, full-coverage clothes, hat, and UV- blocking sunglasses before going outside.
- Apply the sunscreen on your skin even when it’s overcast weather outside because the UV rays can penetrate through the clouds.
- Avoid being in the sun between the hours of 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. as the sun rays are the strongest during this part of the day. If you are obliged to being outside during this period of time, at least make sure you stay in shade.
- Drink plenty of water, especially when being exposed to the sun rays hours at a time. This way you will prevent the dehydration, headaches, and migraines.
- Before introducing a new essential oil to your therapy do a skin test patch to make sure you are not allergic to the chosen natural remedy.
- If you have been diagnosed with any other skin condition or have other illness that may get compromised by the essential oil, make sure you consult with your medical specialist beforehand.
- The usage of bergamot, lemon, lime, orange, and grapefruit essential oils should be avoided when planning on spending the time in the sun because these oils are photosensitive, which means they make the skin burn faster. In addition, these citrus essential oils shouldn’t be used for the treatment of sunburns.
- When making your homemade natural treatments make sure to use a suitable carrier that won’t worsen your skin condition, but opposite, will moisturize, soothe and nourish your epidermis. Here are some of the carriers known for having a positive impact on sunburns: Aloe Vera, avocado oil, cocoa butter, jojoba oil and sunflower oil.
Essential oils are an excellent alternative to the nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSADs), such as ibuprofen and naproxen, which are known for causing serious side effects, including vomiting, heartburn, respiratory difficulties, stomach pain, indigestion etc. Essential oils for sunburn, on the other hand, can easily relieve the pain, redness, swelling and irritation of the sun burnt areas without putting the body at any additional risk.