Essential oils for stretch marks have gained the deserved recognition amongst medical experts in the past few years due to their countless healing properties, capable of nourishing and repairing damaged epidermis.
Stretch marks are one of the biggest beauty concerns amongst men and women. The visible narrow stripes in red-purplish color, slowly fading into white-silver tone, affect people of different age, race, and gender all over the world.
The scarring of the dermis (middle layer of the skin) takes place due to the constant and rapid stretching that leaves the tissue incapable of bouncing back into its primary form, leaving you with visible scars as a result. Pregnancy, weight gain, growth spurts during adolescence, excessive weight loss and weightlifting are just a few of the factors responsible for the caused damage.
Stretch marks, unfortunately, form on most exposed parts of the body, for instance on the belly, thighs, hips, upper arms, breasts and lower back, making people spend hundreds of dollars on creams, gels and massages that are on the market solely because of the profit and rarely because of their effectiveness.
A word of caution
Essential oils are highly concentrated substances that may irritate the skin or cause allergic reactions when in direct contact with the epidermis. Because of their aggressive nature, it is best to dilute the essential oil for stretch marks of your choice with a carrier oil. Skin-friendly and nourishing carrier oils that will help you elevate your treatment even further are jojoba, almond, olive, grapeseed and coconut oil.
The risks of using the essential oils for stretch marks during pregnancy and breastfeeding period increase as some natural components may intervene with the natural course of embryo development.
The usage of these natural agents is especially dangerous during the first trimester when the miscarriages are more likely to occur
Few oils that are not safe to use during pregnancy:
- Clary sage and Jasmine essential oil may cause contractions.
- Rosemary essential oil may increase blood pressure and trigger contractions.
- Basil essential oil may cause abnormal cell growth.
- Nutmeg essential oil may cause hallucinogenic effect and may even react with pain-relief medications during labor.
- Sage and rose essential oil may cause uterus bleeding.
- Juniper berry essential oil may affect kidneys.
7 Natural oils for stretch marksback to menu ↑
Lavender essential oil
Lavender essential oil benefits the skin in many different ways. The antimicrobial components and antioxidants found in the lavender essence are capable of healing the burns, wounds, and scars, even those caused by the stretch marks, by preventing the infections and promoting the cell regeneration.
Luckily, the lavender oil for stretch marks helps the body produce three most crucial and powerful antioxidants, glutathione, catalase, and SOD within 22 hours of usage. These antioxidants will help you fight free radicals and other environmental threats known for causing premature aging and further skin damage.back to menu ↑
Grapeseed oil is an excellent stretch mark removal oil free from synthetic ingredients and rich in moisturizing fatty acids and vitamin E. One tablespoon of grapeseed oil contains approximately 9mg of vitamin E, which is the same amount found in the extra virgin olive oil. Vitamin E is an important antioxidant known for improving the immunity and other crucial bodily functions.
Grapeseed oil for stretch marks as a reliable source of vitamin E will help you prevent the development of new scars by improving the elasticity of your skin, while the fatty acids will simultaneously moisturize your epidermis, giving it soft and smooth texture as a result.back to menu ↑
Frankincense essential oil
If you are looking for a reliable natural oil for stretch marks, the one extracted from the gum or resin of frankincense trees might be just the right choice for you. The value of its essence lies in the cicatrizant quality known for speeding the fading process of stretch marks, blemishes, and scars caused by surgeries and acne.
In addition to this healing property, the astringent nature of the oil will help you correct the uneven texture and wrinkles on the skin by tightening, strengthening and toning skin and muscle tissue. As a cytophylactic substance, the frankincense stretch mark oil will also help you stimulate regeneration of new skin cells while preserving the health of old ones.back to menu ↑
Helichrysum essential oil
Helichrysum essential oil for stretch marks carries irreplaceable cicatrisant attributes in every drop of the oil. Cicatrisant properties help the body heal the wounds, cuts, and scars, including those caused by the tearing of dermis due to the weight gain, at a much faster rate.
Furthermore, the cytophylactic nature of the helichrysum essence promotes cell regeneration through the process of recycling. The replacement of dead skin cells with a set of new ones is crucial for establishing healthy, vibrant and youthful looking skin. Speaking of which, the additional emollient quality will help you achieve smooth, soft and hydrated epidermis free of cracks and wrinkles as well.back to menu ↑
Neroli essential oil
Neroli essential oil derived from the flowers of an orange tree can be easily titled as the best natural oil for stretch marks. In fact, many herbal anti-mark creams and lotions contain the traces of neroli oil within the formula due to its countless pro-skin healing properties.
The sought-after value of neroli essence lies in the cicatrizant and cytophylactic qualities capable of improving the appearance of new and old stretch marks as well as the surrounding skin. The state of your epidermis can be easily bettered with the emollient attributes contained in the oil known for regulating the moisture and oil balance on a cellular level.back to menu ↑
Patchouli essential oil
Amongst numerous essential oils, patchouli oil can be considered one of the best essential oils for stretch marks, as the natural chemicals found in the herbal essence are capable of minimizing the appearance of scars and marks left from acne, wounds, bug bites and weight fluctuation.
Weight fluctuation, unfortunately, doesn’t only cause stretch marks but the skin sagging as well. Good news is that the patchouli essential oil can help you treat this issue. Moreover, its astringent qualities are capable of contracting, strengthening and toning the damaged tissue back into its primary form and fight cellulite.back to menu ↑
Geranium essential oil
Geranium essential oil is a well-known anti-aging substance capable of minimizing the appearance of wrinkles, blemishes, and scars on the skin. The astringent qualities found in the geranium essence are responsible for toning, strengthening and contracting the skin, making it more youthful and sustainable.
Stimulating natural components, such as Alpha Pinene, Limonene, Menthone, Linalool, Citronellol, and Myrcene speed up the healing process of wounds and scars by improving the blood circulation right underneath the surface of the skin. Such dynamic blood flow supplies the torn tissue with oxygen and nutrients necessary for regeneration purposes in an efficient manner.back to menu ↑
3 Best essential oils for stretch marks recipes
back to menu ↑
Basic essential oil stretch marks treatment
- 3 oz of shea butter
- 3 tbsp of coconut oil
- 10 drops of helichrysum essential oil
- 5 drops of lavender essential oil
- 5 drops of rosewood essential oil
- Whip shea butter and coconut oil in exact measurement for 15 minutes until the stiff peaks form.
- Stir in the essential oils.
- Store the treatment in a clean amber glass jar in a dark place.
- Apply the treatment on the stretch marks every morning and night.
Lavender anti stretch marks oil treatment
- 4 ounces of raw shea butter
- 10 to 15 drops of lavender essential oil
- With a hand mixer, mix all ingredients in exact measurements together to form one homogenous compound.
- Store the treatment in a mason jar.
- Apply the blend on your stretch marks on a nightly basis.
Geranium anti-stretch marks blend
- 2 oz of raw shea butter
- 2 tbsp of jojoba oil
- 5 to 10 drops of geranium essential oil
- Warm raw shea butter until soft and add jojoba oil to it.
- Pour 5 to 10 drops of geranium essential oil to the mix.
- With a spatula mix the ingredients thoroughly.
- Pour the mixture into a clean container.
- Massage the stretch marks with the blend once a day.
Stretch marks affect male and female population regardless of age, ethnicity or race group. According to the statistic from the Unites States, 70% of adolescent females and 40% percent of adolescent males develop stretch marks, also known as striae.
These high percentages have motivated the cosmetic and pharmaceutical industries to flood the market with countless anti-stretch marks creams, gels, and lotions that are more likely to disappoint than to live up to their advertised potential.
Here are the last 4 safety tips that will help you exploit the healing benefits of mentioned oils good for stretch marks without side effects.
- Before introducing new best oil for stretch marks to your therapy do a skin test patch to make sure you are not allergic to the chosen natural remedy.
- If you have been diagnosed with any skin condition or have other illness that may get compromised by the essential oil, make sure to consult with your medical specialist beforehand.
- Don’t apply essential oil-based treatments to open wound or cuts on your skin.
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding, consult with your medical specialist about the usage of essential oils and possible side effects beforehand.
Essential oils for stretch marks, on the other hand, welcomingly open doors into the world of natural medicine that has been helping people reduce the appearance of scars for centuries, whether those be caused by pregnancy, weight fluctuation or war wounds.back to menu ↑
Sources and References
- PubMedHealth Topical preparations for preventing stretch marks in pregnancy
- BetterHealthChannel Stretch marks
- MedlinePlus Stretch marks