There are many ways to keep your lungs healthy. One of the natural methods is the utilization of essential oils for lungs in day-to-day life. Respiratory system and lungs health are seldom taken seriously. Common infections pertinent to respiratory system are flu, cough, rash in throat, and so on.
However, lungs health is quite vital in day-to-day life. Healthy lungs can keep us in good physical shape for a longer time. Yet, many people willingly sabotage lungs life by constantly smoking and drinking hard drinks. Lungs are significantly one of the most important parts of the body.
Table of contents
- 1 Top essential oils for good lungs and healthy respiratory system
- 2 How to use essential oils for lungs?
- 3 A few recipes to free your lungs from ailments
- 4 Sources and References
According to an American study, an average person takes around 6 million breaths per year. This makes the lungs one of the busiest organs. It works overtime to keep a human body alive and kicking. With that enormous amount of work, it only makes sense that we should put in extra efforts to keep the lungs healthy.
In this article, we have incorporated a lot of information to use essential oils for different respiratory ailments.
Apart from that, a few tricks and tips to maintain the quality of the respiratory system. They are:
- Try to keep your home clean. Healthiness starts with clean house.
- Schedule your routine in such a manner that exercising becomes easy.
- Breathing exercises help in keeping lungs healthy.
- Regularly use essential oils for respiratory system.
- Avoid smoking cigarettes, weed, shisha, and co-smoking (co-smoking happens when people around you are smoking and you are inhaling that polluted air – that is also a kind of smoking)
- Add a plant in every room of your house to obtain fresh oxygen.
Lungs are attached to trachea; when trachea is affected, person usually feels a sore throat. Respiratory system’s main parts are Pleura, Secondary bronchi, Primary Bronchi and Tertiary Bronchi. Lungs main function is to transmit the oxygen inhaled to other body parts. The purer the inhaled air is, the healthier body becomes. When a person smokes or resides in a compact place, they seldom collect enough oxygen or pure oxygen making their body vulnerable to many viral diseases. So, try to add a routine in your schedule to periodically cleanse your respiratory system. You can start by adding a plant(s) in your room or at a work place.
Healthy lungs minimize the chances of falling sick every now and then. Freshly oxygenated blood keeps wrinkles away, makes skin healthy, and improves muscles and bones durability
Having said that, lets dive into the world of essential oils and check out the best essential oils for healthy lungs:
Top essential oils for good lungs and healthy respiratory system
Peppermint essential oil
Peppermint is an extremely powerful essential oil for breathing. Breathing is important to survive and, most of the times, congestions in winter cause major irritation. However, congestion can also happen due to asthma, allergies, flu, bronchitis, and so on. Peppermint oil helps in treating breathing difficulties. If you have congestion, then this is the best essential oil for breathing difficulties.
Lavender essential oil
Lavender is a powerful oil and it is useful for many problems. It has healing power to eradicate lungs infections. Infection in lungs can happen due to many reasons, such as polluted air, viral infection, allergy, and so on. The most common lungs infection is caused by staphylococcus bacteria. As per an American study, lavender oil blended with eucalyptus oil can kill up to 70% of bacterium present in the lungs.
Bergamot essential oil
Bergamot is an herb that has many properties and uses. Its anti-septic and anti-inflammatory properties make it operative in opening blocked bronchial passages. It can also kill bacteria causing lungs infection.
To use this oil, add 2 drops of bergamot, 2 drops of eucalyptus and peppermint oil and use it as an inhaler.
Star anise essential oil: Star anise is an influential herb. In ancient times it was used to treat cough, sore throat, and running nose. You can intake this oil by adding two drops in a cup of black tea. Drink at least 3 cups a day to see the astonishing influence of this oil.
Eucalyptus Essential oil
Eucalyptus is an extremely herby, strong, and effective essential oil for lungs. Eucalyptus oil can be used for many respiratory ailments, such as cough, flu, congestion, bronchial diseases, lungs infection, asthma, and other. As described above, the smell is quite strong and herby, and method of using this oil differs from that of other essential oils.
Clove essential oil
Clove is a strong herb and it is helpful in opening blocked nose, eliminating infection, healing fever, asthma, sore throat. It is also dominant in healing mouth ulcer. Although this oil is edible, it is always recommended to consult a doctor before ingesting it. If you feel you do not have time to consult a doctor, you can add 4 cloves (not clove essential oil) in your tea and boil for 5 minutes. Intake this tea at least 3 times a day. This is a perfectly safe and healthy therapy to treat flu, cough, sore throat, and mouth ulcer.
Marjoram essential oil
Marjoram plant has a strong smell, it is recommended that this oil should be used as inhaler only. Marjoram has many health benefits, and it is often referred to as one of the key ingredients in many medicines. It can clear the infection and can be helpful in overcoming breathing difficulties.
A few tips to use eucalyptus, clove, and marjoram essential oils for lungs.
- Keep your eyes closed while inhaling these oils, as these strong oils can cause eyes to water profusely.
- Avoid blending all three or any two essential oils together.
- Ingestion of these oils should be monitored and should be taken in exact measurements.
- Excessive addition of these oils for topical use can cause skin to sting.
- People with sensitive skin should avoid using these oils bare without any carrier oil.
- Best carrier oils to use for these oils are virgin coconut oil and virgin olive oil.
How to use essential oils for lungs?
You can use essential oils for lungs in 4 ways:
- Inhalation: Inhalation is the most common and effective way to exercise for any respiratory ailments. It is also known as the fastest way to treat any lungs ailment. There are various methods through which you can inhale essential oils:
- Steam method
- A few drops on a handkerchief
- Carrying a pot of essential oils blend
- 6 drops of eucalyptus oil,
- 10 drops of lavender oil,
- Water (for steam process or to create a mist)
Method: Store the blend in a pot to inhale every now and then, just add an ounce of carrier oil to the above essential oils and store it in a small bottle and inhale whenever required.
To create a steam inhaler, boil 4 cups of water and add 10 drops of the blended oil mixture. Hold your face above the steam of the hot water and cover your head with the towel, and inhale. In one sitting try to inhale this for at least 5-7 minutes.
Do this 3 times a day to witness extremely speedy recovery.
To diffuse the blend, just add a few drops in the diffuser and let it diffuse for at least 30 minutes.
Ingestion of essential oils is rarely recommended or required. However, if you intend to ingest essential oils, please do so after consulting a doctor. It is also recommended to use only organic essential oils for ingestion. Essential oils are imperative regardless of ingestion. Topical application is more than enough to work upon the ailment.
For topical use, dilute essential oils in carrier oil prior to its application on skin. Essential oils for lungs are strong, herby oils, so dilution of these oils prior to use is a must. In one ounce of carrier oil add 6-9 drops of essential oils. To use essential oils for lungs, apply it on chest, neck, back, and vita flex. However, you can also apply a small amount of oil on the tip of the nose for better breathing.
A few recipes to free your lungs from ailments
- 4 drops of Eucalyptus essential oil
- 2 drops of Ravintsara oil
- 2 drops of Birch essential oil
- 3 drops of Peppermint essential oil
- 3 drops of Lemon essential oil
This blend is effective in combating respiratory infections, tuberculosis, pneumonia, asthma, and breathing difficulties. You can use this oil as an inhaler. However, if you intend to use this as a topical usage blend, then add 6 drops of this blend in 1 ounce of carrier oil. Apply on chest, back, and under the feet. Daily usage of this blend can heal signs and symptoms of tuberculosis, asthma, and pneumonia.
- 5 drops of clove essential oil
- 3 drops of tea-tree essential oil
- 1 ounce of water
You can use this blend as a mist. Use this mist to overcome dust allergy.
Recipe #3 for asthma and COPD
- 10 drops of Rosemary essential oil
- 10 drops of thyme essential oil
- 6 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 6 drops of Lemon essential oil
Method: use this blend in a diffuser to overcome asthma and COPD. Diffuse this blend at least 3 times daily. When you cannot diffuse it, try to inhale it as many times as you can.
Essential oils for lungs is the need of this era. As the world we live in has forgotten the power of natural remedies. Essential oils treatment is 100% natural, safe and real.