Each and every one of us occasionally experiences the difficulty of having a hard stool or not being able to go to the bathroom for days at a time. Every now and then human body undergoes the symptoms of constipation that can appear occasionally or chronically due to the infrequent bowel movement that is responsible for pushing the waste product of digestion (feces) out of the body.
Table of contents
If these symptoms sound too familiar, no worries, the world of nature offers plenty of natural remedies that will help you establish punctual and healthy digestive system by simply encouraging the activeness of your “lazy” bowel. Essential oils for constipation capture the healing essence of most valuable plants and fruits that can easily relive the pain, bloating, and cramps in the abdominal area without putting the body at any additional risk.
5 Oils for constipation
Olive oil for constipation is an excellent natural remedy for improving the digestive process as the monounsaturated fats and antioxidants found in every drop of the oil motivate the bowl movement that is necessary for the secretion of the feces.
In addition, the olive oil also provides the anti-inflammatory quality that comes in handy when treating the inflammation, swelling and irritation of gastrointestinal organs that are responsible for the breakdown of the food.
If you are looking for the best oil for constipation, one extracted from olives might be just the right choice for you as the antimicrobial properties found in extract promote healthy stomach and gut flora by stopping the growth of the bad bacterium that causes bloating and inflammation.
Castor seed oil
Castor oil for constipation is a natural laxative that is due to the presence of ricinoleic acid capable of improving the overall process of digestion, including the absorption of the nutrients and bowel movement.
Furthermore, the stimulating nature of the oil improves the blood circulation and lymphatic drainage that are two necessary factors for the absorption of the fats and removal of the toxin from the small intestine.
The healing properties of the castor seed oil improve the overall immunity by boosting the performance of lymphocytes whose main responsibility is to fight the toxin and bacteria accumulated in the body, including those found in the digestive system. Establishment of healthy gut flora lowers the risk of developing the symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
Coconut oil is enriched with medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs) such as caprylic, lauric and capric acid that give the oil multi-purpose medicinal formula excellent for the treatment of skin, heart, musculoskeletal, cognitive, and of course, digestive disorders, such as constipation, IBS, colon polyps and cancer.
Edible and easily accessible coconut oil improves the overall digestion as natural components found in every drop of the oil encourage the absorption of calcium and magnesium that, when paired together, act as an inseparable duo capable of correcting the flawed digestion.
As the things couldn’t get any better, coconut oil for constipation also promotes healthy gut flora by correcting the heightened levels of candida, a bacterium that tends to decrease gastric acid in the stomach, leaving us with the inflamed and bloated abdomen.
Flaxseed oil for constipation is capable of eradicating the main problem of intestines, which is the lack of lubrication that obstructs the movement of the stool through the digestive tract. As a natural lubricant, flaxseed oil greases the colon for smoother and easier defecation.
Furthermore, the anti-inflammatory quality of the flaxseed oil is capable of preventing and treating the inflammation not only of arthritis and gout but also of inflammatory bowel diseases, such as ulcerative and Crohn’s disease.
Flax oil for constipation can be used for improving the bowel movement and for stopping diarrhea as well. The 2015 study published in the Journal of Ethnopharmacology shows the medicinal versatility of the oil that can be used for treating the completely opposite digestive problems, such as having a hard or runny stool.
Peppermint essential oil
Peppermint oil for constipation is a natural agent that is capable of treating indigestion and constipation due to the presence of carminative qualities that help the body release the built-up gasses that cause the bloating and pain in the first place.
Furthermore, the peppermint oil that can be found in the “Young Living oils for constipation line” as well as “Doterra oils for constipation series “ relaxes the muscles of the gastrointestinal tract, which leads to smoother and painless movement of the gas and stool.
The latest studies have proven the peppermint oil capsules to be an effective natural medicament for treating irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), which is a chronic condition characterized by abdominal pain, constipation, diarrhea, and cramping
4 Natural recipes for constipation
- Calming abdominal massage blend
- 2 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 1 drop of black pepper essential oil
- 1 tsp of warm grapeseed or sweet almond oil
- In a nonreactive bowl combine all ingredients in exact measurements together to form one homogenous compound.
- Massage the blend over your abdomen with the clockwise motions.
- Repeat the treatment 2 to 3 times per day or as desired.
- Massage blend for better circulation
- 2 ounces of coconut oil
- 7 to 8 drops of rosemary essential oil
- 7 to 8 drops of fennel or geranium essential oil
- In a nonreactive bowl combine all ingredients together to form one homogenous compound.
- Massage your whole body with the blend.
- Basic olive oil treatment
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- In the morning, when your stomach is still empty, consume one tablespoon of olive oil mixed with 1 teaspoon of lemon juice.
- Homemade ginger root tea
- 1 tbsp of grated ginger
- 1 tbsp of raw honey
- 1 cups of water
- Lemon juice
- Boil the water in a saucepan, remove it from the heat and add the grated ginger to it.
- Cover the saucepan with the lid and let the water infuse for 10 minutes.
- Strain the water to remove the ginger.
- According to your taste, add raw honey and lemon juice to your homemade ginger tea.
Here are the last few tips that will help you establish reliable and effective natural treatment for your digestion problems.
- Before introducing a new essential oil to your therapy do a skin test patch to make sure you are not allergic to the chosen natural remedy.
- If you have been diagnosed with a skin condition or have other illness that may get compromised by the essential oil, make sure to consult with your medical specialist beforehand.
- If you are suspecting on having chronic constipation, pay a visit to your doctor who will give your appropriate treatment for your condition.
- Any essential oil based treatment for constipation shouldn’t be used on daily basis, but only occasionally, when your body is undergoing constipation.
- Enrich you diet with a source of magnesium as this particular mineral relaxes the intestine muscles.
- Enrich your diet with a source of probiotics that will help you establish healthy gut flora. Foods enriched with probiotics are yogurt, kefir, and sauerkraut.
- Incorporate edible coconut, olive, castor and flaxseed oil into your daily nutritional routine. For instance, instead of buying premade salad dressings, coat your vegetables with a spoon of olive oil and lemon juice.
- Drink prune, apple or pear juice when constipated because the presence of a component called sorbitol will help you soften the stool. Just make sure you don’t drink too much as the juices may upset your stomach.
- Enrich your nutrition with ginger because this natural medicament will help you put your digestion back on tracks.
- Keep your body hydrated at all times. The lack of water will make your stool hard and dry.
- Stay active throughout the day because the contracting muscles and blood circulation will help you improve your bowel movement.
- Don’t exaggerate with the usage of laxatives as your digestive tract will become lazy and dependent.
The ever-surprising world of nature offers a vast range of natural medicaments that are capable of treating constipation without causing serious side effects. With that being said, some natural remedies, such as mineral oil for constipation, still have to be used with cautiousness and with doctor’s approval due to their unpredictable nature.
Olive, castor seed, coconut and flaxseed oil, on the other hand, are natural ingredients used in the culinary world, cosmetic and pharmaceutical industry because their versatility and friendly nature don’t put people at risk unless a person is allergic to the very fruit or seed the particular oil is extracted from.
When speaking of gastrointestinal problems, “The best Dottera essential oils for constipation” title surely belong to peppermint essential oil that, when used correctly, offers valuable healing essence to every seeking individual that wants to treat the symptoms of curable or incurable diseases.