Red, swollen and crusted outgrowths significant for this skin condition usually appear around the mouth due to the presence of herpes simplex virus (HSV) that permanently stays in the patient’s body, only to become active when the immune system is weakened because of the cold, fever, stress, vitamin deficiency etc. Although the herpes simplex virus cannot be eradicated from the body, the symptoms that usually last up to 2 weeks can still be treated with the help of essential oils for cold sores that efficiently soothe the pain, inflammation, and redness without any side effects.
7 Essential oils for fever blisters
- Lemon essential oil
Lemon oil for cold sores is a well-known natural skin care product that is, due to its detoxifying nature, capable of rejuvenating the skin. The lemon essential oil has a pungent citric identity that will help your affected skin reclaim natural texture, pigmentation, and luster once again.
Furthermore, the oil extracted from the lemon citric fruit also acts as an anti-stress agent that helps refresh the mind and immune system whose responsibility is to protect the body from diseases that may give the herpes simplex virus an opportunity to step forefront.
- Lavender essential oil
Lavender essential oil has antibacterial and antiviral qualities that help keep the harmful microbes at bay when the immune system fails its duty. Although the herpes simplex virus cannot be cured, the mentioned health-boosting attributes will still help you lower the frequency of outbreaks.
Furthermore, the oil extracted from lavender is an anti-inflammatory agent that helps speed up the healing process of scar tissue around the mouth that would otherwise take up to 3 weeks for complete recuperation.
- Eucalyptus essential oil
Eucalyptus oil for cold sores carries an important antiseptic value that is used for healing wounds, scars, and cuts associated with various skin illnesses, including the concerning condition of cold sores. The additional germicidal quality of the oil protects the open and exposed wounds from becoming septic as the environmental microbes increase the risks of infections and further complications.
If you are looking for the right essential oil for fever, one extracted from eucalyptus might be just the right choice for you as the natural components found in every drop are capable of reducing the heightened body temperature that is, hence the name fever blisters, one of the main causes of herpes breakouts.
- Tea tree essential oil
Tea tree oil for cold sores carries antibacterial and antiviral qualities that are capable of eradicating or at least suppressing the activity of harmful microbes within our bodies that cause the development of bacterial and viral illnesses in the first place.
Furthermore, the overall stimulating nature of the tea tree oil for fever blisters promotes blood circulation, hormone secretion and absorption of nutrients from food that keep the immune system ready for the new internal as well as the external trials that may put the body at risk. Tea tree essential oil eliminates warts, acne, relieves itching and inflammations
- Oregano essential oil
Oregano oil for cold sores carries anti-inflammatory qualities that are excellent for soothing and calming the disturbed skin, nerves, and tissue around the mouth especially when the outbreaks are also accompanied by the feeling of pain, pressure, and stiffness.
The antibacterial and antiviral attributes protect the body from bacterial and viral infections that lower the efficiency of the immune system giving the herpes simplex virus an opportunity for overthrow. Furthermore, the Phenols found in every drop of oil help fight the internal as well as the external free radicals that contribute to the premature aging of the skin.
- Lemon balm essential oil
Lemon balm oil for cold sores carries antibacterial attributes that help the body destroy the microbes that trigger the development of cold and fever, the two main causes of recurring herpes outbreaks. Speaking of fever, the additional sudorific properties found in every drop of the oil help bring down the body temperature to the normal level by eradicating the responsible toxins through the process of sweating.
Furthermore, this natural remedy extracted from the Melissa Officinalis plant is also an efficient tonic that will help you improve your immunity and metabolism for better resistance against the new bacterial and viral infections.
- Peppermint essential oil
Peppermint oil for cold sores is enriched with nutrients and minerals such as magnesium, iron, calcium, potassium, omega-3 fatty acids and Vitamin A and C that are capable of correcting and improving the immune system responsible for protecting the body from various illnesses.
In addition, the presence of menthol gives every “peppermint oil cold sore massage blend” a cooling ability that can reduce the redness, inflammation, and soreness of herpes outbreaks. The 2003 study published in Phytomedicine: International Journal of Phytotherapy and Phytopharmacology shows the anti-viral potential of the oil when fighting recurrent herpes infections and outbreaks.back to menu ↑
2 Natural essential oil recipes
back to menu ↑
Lavender oil cold sore treatment
- 5 drops of lavender essential oil
- 8 drops of tea tree essential oil
- 3 drops of lemon essential oil
- 6 drops of chamomile essential oil
- 8 drops of geranium essential oil
- Mix all ingredients in exact measurement together to create one homogenous compound.
- Soak a cotton ball in water and apply one drop of the given compound on the ball.
- Apply the cotton ball on the cold sore once a day till the flare-up vanishes away.
Cold sore body lotion
- 10 drops of lavender essential oil
- 8 drops of lemon essential oil
- 10 drops of geranium essential oil
- 2 drops of thyme essential oil
- 2 tablespoons of carrier oil of your choice
- In a small nonreactive bowl, mix all ingredients in exact measurements together to create one homogenous compound.
- Massage the lotion all over your body, especially on the face and neck area.
- Apply the lotion on the body once a day or as desired.
To make sure your natural treatment is as successful as anticipated here are the last 7 tips that will help you face the approaching days with a beautiful smile.
- Before introducing a new essential oil to your therapy do a skin test patch to make sure you are not allergic to the chosen natural remedy.
- If you have been diagnosed with any other skin condition or have other illness that may get compromised by the essential oil, make sure you consult with your medical specialist beforehand.
- When treating cold sores on your child it is advisable not to use the peppermint oil or any other strong oil that may cause the irritation on the young skin. Furthermore, make sure the concentration of essential oils is appropriate for your child’s age.
- Be cautious when using essential oils when pregnant or while breastfeeding.
- Do not apply essential oil treatments on the open and fresh cold sore wounds. Wait till the wound dries and closes up.
- Establish a stress-free lifestyle that won’t burden your immune system.
- Make sure you eat nutritious foods, drink plenty of water and sleep well. This way your immune system will be more resistant and better prepared for new trials.
Essential oils for cold sores are an excellent alternative to the prescription drugs that may help the body in the short-term, but not in the long-term as many synthetic medicaments cause serious side effects. Essential oils, on the other hand, are capable of correcting bumpiness, redness, texture, scarring and inflammation of the skin without putting the body at any additional risk.back to menu ↑