Essential oils for cellulite have been used for centuries and are confidently paving their legacy into the future due to their healing essence capable of treating not only the symptoms but also the causes of concerning condition, medically called adiposis edemotosa.
Cellulite is a number one cosmetic complaint amongst women because the lumpy and uneven surface of the skin on the thighs and buttocks can take a toll on one’s confidence. If your own displeasure has brought you to this article, just remember you are not the only one as approximately 90 percent of women are suffering from this age-old medical condition.
Table of contents
- 1 Knowledge is essential
- 2 7 Essential oils for cellulite
- 3 3 Natural anti-cellulite recipes
- 4 Conclusion
- 5 Sources and References
Cosmetic and pharmaceutical industries have taken an advantage of these surprising statistics and as a result developed countless skin care and anti-cellulite products that are on the market solely because of the profit and not because of their effectiveness.
If you have spent hundreds of dollars on cellulite creams, spa treatments and massages that haven’t bearded any results, the world of traditional medicine still offers natural alternatives that can help you achieve smooth and even skin.
Knowledge is essential
Before venturing on the road of self-treatment it is important to know that knowledge is sometimes the only asset required for success. With accurate causes and symptoms in your mind, you will be able to tackle the very roots of cellulite in a successful manner.
- What is cellulite?
Cellulite, medically known as adiposis edematosa, is a condition characterized by the dimpled and lumpy appearance of the flash, which appears due to the fat cells pushed against connective tissue. These enlarged fat cells that press against the skin usually appear on buttocks, thighs, hips and abdominal area.
The statistics indicates that 85 to 98 percent of women at some point in life experience the formation of cellulite regardless of their weight. With that being said, we should know that this condition is not solely reserved for female population as men can also develop protruding fat deposits, just not as commonly.
- What causes cellulite?
Common misperception amongst people is that excessive weight is the only cause of cellulite.
Although overweight people may have greater chances of developing fatty dimples under the skin, thin individuals still experience the same issues
So what are the real causes of cellulite? Although the medical field still hasn’t fully put together all pieces of this puzzle yet, here is a list of general causes associated with the formation of cellulite.
- Hormones, such as estrogen, insulin, prolactin, noradrenaline and thyroid hormones likely contribute to the development of cellulite.
- Genetic predisposition may play an important part in cellulite development. Factors such as gender, race, fat distribution under the skin, slow metabolism and circulation determine the characteristic of cellulite.
- A poor diet low in fiber and high in unhealthy fats, carbohydrates and salts promote the development of cellulite.
- Lifestyle factors, such as smoking, and lack of exercise may also encourage the development of cellulite.
- Tight clothes that restrict the blood flow
7 Essential oils for cellulite
Grapefruit essential oil
Grapefruit essential oil is an excellent natural remedy for treating cellulite as the antioxidants and vitamin C found in every drop of the oil help fight obesity and free radicals within the human body. The Limonene and Myrcene additionally promote healthy metabolism by encouraging proper secretion of hormones, which, as we mentioned before, contribute to the formation of enlarged fatty cells underneath the skin.
When speaking of vital metabolism, it is important to mention the lymphatic system whose main responsibility is to remove accumulated toxins from the system. Grapefruit essential oil efficiently encourages the lymphatic drainage, helping us fight the cellulite, rheumatism and blood urea as a result.
Furthermore, diuretic nature of grapefruit oil will help you encourage urination as well, the process responsible for the removal of excess water, toxins, sodium, and fats.
Cypress essential oil
Cypress essential is a diuretic substance that increases urination and secretion of fats, excess water and toxins that form urine. Up to 4 percent of urine volume consists of fats that body simply wants to eliminate. An establishment of such efficient purifying mechanism will not only help you tackle your excess weight and cellulite, but help you clean your kidneys and lower blood pressure as well.
Cypress essential oil is also enriched with sudorific qualities that are responsible for the encouragement of sweating and perspiration processes responsible for the removal of excess water, toxins, and salt through the pores and openings on the skin.
If you are worried that elimination of excess fluids and fatty cells will leave your skin loose and wrinkly, simply rely on the astringent nature of the oil capable of tightening and toning skin and muscle tissue.
Juniper essential oil
Juniper essential oil is enriched with natural components, such as Alpha Pinene, Camphene, Myrcene, and Sabinene that give the oil diuretic sudorific abilities crucial for the elimination of toxins and for the treatment of water retention.
Water retention is a health condition that gives the padded appearance skin on thighs and buttock, also called the orange peel effect. Trapped fluids underneath the connective tissue make the lumps and dimples of cellulite even more pronounced.
The lumpy exterior of the cellulite can be improved with the help of efficient blood circulation. Juniper essence gladly encourages blood flow, which supplies even most remote parts of the body with oxygen and nutrients necessary for regeneration purposes.
Geranium essential oil
Geranium essential oil is an excellent natural tonic, which makes all mechanisms and functions in the human body work properly and accordingly. Its stimulating essence influences the activity of endocrine glands responsible for secretion of hormones, especially those associated with cellulite formation.
When speaking of secretion, it is important to mention the diuretic quality of the oil as well. Increased urination helps the body remove toxins, water, uric acid, salts and, most importantly, fats from the system more efficiently.
An establishment of such productive purifying mechanism will help you lose those few extra pounds that give your thighs and buttocks lumpy and dimpled exterior. Meanwhile, the astringent nature of geranium essential oil will nourish, contract and tighten your skin, so you won’t need to worry about it becoming saggy and wrinkly.
Fennel essential oil
Fennel essential oil is an excellent natural remedy for establishing successful weight-loss journey. The reason for its anti-fat and anti-cellulite personality lies in the stimulating nature capable of improving digestive system while keeping the appetite in control.
In addition, fennel seeds have the ability to minimize the new fat deposits within the body by using the already stored energy sources for the bodily functions instead. The diuretic quality, through the process of urination, additionally helps remove excess fats that may otherwise worsen the appearance of cellulite.
The healing benefits of this particular cellulite oil don’t end here. The fennel essence also easily increases the levels of estrogen hormone capable of boosting the production of collagen underneath the skin. Collagen will make your connective tissue stronger and more competent for bearing the weight of enlarged fat cells without creating the lumps and dimples on the surface of the skin.
Lemon essential oil
Lemon essential oil is an excellent natural aid for losing weight. The vitamins, minerals, and especially antioxidant called d-limonene support metabolic functions within the body responsible for efficient fat burning. Furthermore, the lemon citric fruit itself is also known for helping people lower their appetite and caloric intake.
The essential oil extracted solely from the lemon peel can help you lower your cellulite, not just through the weight-loss journey but also with the improvement of the lymphatic system responsible for keeping the body free of toxins, which tend to store in fat cells underneath the skin.
Cellulite is not the only beauty complaint amongst women. Varicose veins can also lower one’s confidence. Fortunate enough, lemon essence successfully prevents and treats this health condition by strengthening vascular tissue, improving blood circulation and relieving the pressure on the veins.
Patchouli essential oil
Patchouli essential oil is an excellent natural tonic capable of improving and correcting flaws of metabolic functions that may have triggered the formation of the cellulite. This tonic nature of the oil has an impressive impact on the endocrinal secretion of hormones and enzymes, two likely causes of lumpy and dimpled flesh.
Patchouli essence also carries all features significant for diuretic substances. This particular stimulating personality encourages urination liable for secretion of excess water, toxins, and fats that circulate the body due to the poor and unbalanced diet.
The healing benefits don’t end here as every patchouli-based anti cellulite oil treatment will not only help you lower your cellulite but also help you regenerate new skin cells for young and vibrant appearance.
3 Natural anti-cellulite recipes
Basic anti cellulite oil blend used in 3 different ways
- 20 drops of fennels essential oil
- 20 drops of rosemary essential oil
- 15 drops of juniper essential oil
- 15 drops of grapefruit essential oil
- 5 drops of geranium essential oil
- In a 5 ml glass bottle mix all essential oils in exact measurement together.
- First way: dry brushing
- Before taking a shower or a bath, apply 1 to 2 drops of “basic anti cellulite oil blend” to your natural-bristle brush.
- With circular motions brush your limbs upwards to stimulate your blood circulation.
- Second way: bathing
- In a small nonreactive bowl combine 1 tsp (5 ml) of milk and 4 to 6 drops of “basic anti cellulite oil blend”.
- Add the mixture to the tub filled with water and disperse the blend thoroughly.
- Soak in water for 30 minutes and massage any floating droplets into your skin.
- Third way: massaging
- In a nonreactive bowl mix 4 tsp (20 ml) of grapeseed or sweet almond oil with 10 drops of “basic anti cellulite oil blend”.
- Massage the oil over your body.
Coconut oil cellulite treatment
- ½ cup of coconut oil
- 10 drops of geranium essential oil
- 10 drops of juniper essential oil
- 10 drops of clary sage essential oil
- 10 drops of citrus oil of your choice
- Mix all ingredients in exact measurements together to form one homogenous compound.
- Store the blend in a glass bottle.
- Apply the treatment to your cellulite areas 2 to 3 times a day.
- If you are planning on spending the day in the sun, replace the citrus oil with cinnamon bark oil to avoid sun damage.
Grapefruit oil cellulite treatment
- 10 drops of grapefruit essential oil
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of dried ground seaweed
- 3 tablespoons of coarse sea salt
- Mix all ingredients in exact measurements together.
- Massage the treatment into the affected areas for 10 minutes before showering.
- After you shower, nourish the exfoliated areas with a moisturizer of your choice.
Modern media constantly bombards us with anti-cellulite advertisements that falsely deceive consumers into spending hundreds of dollars on products that simply don’t meet the promised potential.
To make sure your needs are just as satisfied, here are the last few tips that will help you establish safe and result-bearing treatment:
- Before introducing a new essential oil to your therapy do a skin test patch to make sure you are not allergic to the chosen natural remedy.
- If you have been diagnosed with any skin condition or have other illness that may get compromised by the essential oil, make sure you consult with your medical specialist beforehand.
- Don’t apply “essential oils cellulite treatments” to open wound or cuts on your skin.
- Don’t ingest essential oil without the professional advice received from your medical specialist or aroma-therapist.
Essential oils for cellulite on the other hand welcomingly open doors into the world of traditional medicine that has been fulfilling the demands and needs of people for centuries, even in the times when technological development was nowhere near.
Sources and References
- MedlinePlus Cellulite
- FloridaHealthFinder Cellulite
- NCBI Cellulite treatment: a comprehensive literature review