If you are looking for a reliable natural acne therapy, you are in the right place as this article will introduce you to the list of 9 essential oils for acne treatment that will help you face the day with confidence.
Acne as one of many skin disorders that affects millions of people around the world remain an open book as the progressive medicine of 21st century hasn’t yet developed a primary cure that can tackle the roots of this burdening condition.
The pharmaceutical and cosmetic industries offer a vast specter of synthetic drugs, antibiotics, creams and chemical peels that promise results one can only dream about. Unfortunately, these highly concentrated medicaments quite often worsen the acne flair-ups by making the inflammation and discoloration of the skin even more pronounced.
We could say that for every illness under the sun there grows a plant with healing properties to it. Essential oils beautifully capture the medicinal value of chosen plants making each drop priceless in value when it comes to treating many illnesses, including the acne.
Knowledge is essential
Knowledge is quite often the only asset that separates us from success. With such mantra in mind, a person is bound to succeed in many fields even when it comes to treating the redness and inflammation associated with acne.
The knowledge about the causes and symptoms will help you develop a better insight into your personal health state and therefore help you strategize a better plan on tackling the very roots of your skin condition.
Here are the answers to 3 main concerning questions that will help you start your essential oil for acne treatment as soon as possible:back to menu ↑
What is acne?
Acne is a common skin condition that usually develops in the puberty when the hormonal changes take place. According to the statistics, 70 to 87 percent of teenagers get affected by the acne that appears on the face, chest, neck, shoulders, and back.
Although this skin condition is usually associated with the youth, it is important to know that the age limit is becoming more and more blurred as the people are now more likely to experience the symptoms even in childhood and adulthood.
The symptoms of acne usually develop during the adolescent period when the fluctuation of hormonal levels increases the production of waxy skin secretion called sebum. Because of the increased production sebaceous glands tend to clog up, giving the bacterium called Propionibacterium a platform to grow off of. Furthermore, the excessive amounts of oil and dead skin cells additionally block hair follicles that eventually turn into protruding and inflamed bumps that we see on the skin.
Disturbed skin can be treated with effective treatments, such as tetracycline, Brevoxyl, and Stridex that unfortunately quite often have an opposite impact on our heath than anticipated
Natural oils for acne, on the other hand, are a harmless alternative to the synthetic medicine as the studies about moderate acne have proven the tea tree oil to be 6 times more effective than tested placebo.back to menu ↑
What are the acne symptoms?
Here is a list of general acne symptoms:
- Whiteheads, which are closed, plugged pores on the skin.
- Blackheads, which are open plugged pores on the skin.
- Papules, which are small red bumps.
- Pimples, also known as pustules, which are papules filled with pus.
- Nodules, which are large and solid bumps beneath the skin that often cause the pain.
- Cystic lesions, which are painful lumps beneath the skin that are filled with pus.
What causes acne?
Here is a list of causes that trigger or worsen acne:
- Excessive production of oil (sebum)
- Dead skin cells
- Clogged hair follicles
- Enlarged sebaceous glands
- Growth of bacteria
- Some medications that contain androgens, corticosteroids and lithium can worsen the acne.
- Poor diet
9 Best oils for acne
- Tea tree essential oil
Tea tree essential oil for acne contains antibacterial and antifungal qualities that according to the 2007 study published in Indian Journal of Dermatology, Venereology and Leprology help heal mild to moderate acne outbreaks.
Antibacterial quality successfully eradicated the bacterium that contributes to the inflammation and irritation of the clogged hair follicles, while the antifungal feature of the oil prevents the development of microbial infections that may elongate and worsen the intensity of flare-ups.
- Lemongrass essential oil
Lemongrass essential oil for acne is another excellent natural remedy that helps treat the whiteheads, blackheads, papules, and pimples on the skin. Antimicrobial and antibacterial qualities found in every drop of oil slow the growth of bacteria that causes inflammation and infection of the pores and acne wounds.
On top of that, the beneficial sedative feature of this oil for acne treatment soothes and calms not only the sensitive and irritated skin but also the mind that might be going through emotional trauma due to the change of skin appearance.
- Lavender essential oil
Lavender essential oil for acne is, according to the dermatologists, one of the best and most affordable natural remedies currently on the market. The natural components found in the oil efficiently restrict the growth of bacteria that keeps the skin trapped in a vicious cycle of flare-ups.
Furthermore, the stimulating nature of this worthy fluid promotes the blood circulation that keeps the face bright and healthy due to the sufficient supply of oxygen that is necessary for regeneration and growth of new skin cells.
- Lemon essential oil
Lemon oil for acne is another excellent alternative to the chemical peels as the presence of antioxidant called d-limonene gives the oil rejuvenating and regenerative nature. The astringent and detoxifying features that uphold the best healing properties are capable of reducing the inflammation and irritation associated with acne. Lemon essential oil well eliminate the warts
On top of that, the citric sharpness of the oil can reduce the excessive amount of sebum on the skin that is practically the main cause of acne flare-ups while giving your epidermis the desired luster and glow of every youthful skin.
- Rosemary essential oil
Rosemary oil for acne is a well-known natural remedy that carries antimicrobial and antiseptic attributes that come in handy when treating skin disorders, such as eczema, dermatitis, and acne. The antioxidant ORAC value of 3,300 is high enough to correct every weakened immune system whose responsibility is to tackle the harmful factors that put the human body at risk.
This easily accessible natural remedy that can be found in the Doterra oils for acne series also acts as a stress relief agent that can additionally improve the impaired metabolism of every patient that has been affected by the emotional trauma.
- Clary Sage essential oil
Clary Sage essential oil has found its place in the Young Living oils for acne series due to its beneficial antibacterial and anti-inflammatory qualities that efficiently regenerate and rejuvenate the skin back into its natural state.
Clary Sage essential oil is enriched with Linalyl Acetate that reduces the inflammation of clogged hair follicles and suppresses the rashes that sebum and bacteria may cause. Furthermore, this face oil for acne tackles the causes from within the skin as the mentioned chemical is capable of regulating the excessive production of natural skin oils that cause the acne and rosacea breakouts in the first place.
- Juniper berry essential oil
Juniper berry essential oil can easily be labeled as the best oil for acne due to its antiseptic and tonic attributes that can easily improve the condition of the skin that has been affected by the acne. Natural components, such as Camphene, Sabinene, Alpha Terpinene and Beta-Pinene efficiently tone the skin making it more immune, youthful and healthy.
Furthermore, the antibacterial and antimicrobial healing properties of the oil prevent the open acne wounds from getting infected by the body or environmental bacteria once again.
- Oregano essential oil
If you are looking for the best essential oil for acne, oregano oil might be just the right natural remedy for you because the regenerating and rejuvenating nature of this oil efficiently keeps the acne symptoms at bay.
The anti-inflammatory quality soothes disturbed skin tissue while making the redness that causes insecurity disappear.
Last but not least, the antioxidant feature successfully neutralizes free radicals that according to the 2012 study published in Journal of Drugs in Dermatology trigger inflammation and oxidative stress that are two main suspects in acne development.
- Frankincense essential oil
Frankincense essential oil has countless medicinal uses due to its rich formula that contains components such as Alpha Pinene, Linalool, Incensole, Incensyl Acetate and Bornyl Acetate. All these natural chemicals give the oil an anti-aging, tonic and astringent qualities that can efficiently treat the symptoms associated with acne.
Furthermore, oil extracted from Frankincense is known for being cicatrizant, which means, every drop of oil contributes to the healing process of the acne scars. In other words, with the help of this essential oil cystic acne scars, that can stay visible for years, will disappear at much faster pace.back to menu ↑
3 Essential oil recipes
How to use lavender oil for acne treatment? If this dilemma is currently on your mind, and if you don’t know how to put the listed essential oils to use, no worries, you have come far enough, as these 3 practical essential oil recipes will help you start your self-treatment journey without putting your skin at any risk.
- Basic essential oil recipe for acne
- 1 tablespoon of carrier oil of your choice
- 3 drops of lavender essential oil
- 3 drops of tea tree essential oil
- 3 drops of frankincense essential oil
- Pour all ingredients in exact measurements into an amber bottle.
- Gently shake the bottle to mix all ingredients together.
- Every evening massage 2 to 3 drops of the mixture into your skin.
- Lavender oil acne scar treatment
- 2 teaspoons of raw honey
- 3 drops of lavender essential oil
- 3 drops of tea tree essential oil
- 3 drops of frankincense essential oil
- Mix the listed ingredients in exact measurements together to create one homogenous compound.
- Wash and dry your face before applying the paste on the affected skin.
- Let the paste sit on your face for an hour before rinsing it off.
- Antibacterial face wash
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons of honey
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 20 drops of tea tree oil
- 2 capsules of live probiotics
- With a hand blender, blend all ingredients in exact measurement together to form one homogenous compound.
- Pour the mixture into a glass bottle and store it in a cool place.
To make sure your natural treatment is as successful as anticipated here are the last 10 tips that will help you reclaim smooth skin once again.
- Before introducing a new essential oil to your therapy do a skin test patch to make sure you are not allergic to the chosen natural remedy.
- If you have been diagnosed with any other skin condition or have other illness that may get compromised by the essential oil, make sure to consult with your medical specialist beforehand.
- If you have sensitive skin always dilute the chosen essential oil with a carrier oil of your choice, for instance, olive, jojoba or coconut oil.
- Avoid direct exposure to the UV rays when treating your skin with essential oils as they may cause the redness and skin irritation. Citrus oils are especially known for being photosensitive.
- When applying the natural remedy on your skin make sure it doesn’t get into your eyes or mouth.
- Establish a stress-free lifestyle that won’t burden your immune system.
- Cleanse and exfoliate your face frequently to get rid of the excess oil and dead skin cells that clog the pores.
- Limit the consumption of the foods that are speculated on having a bad impact on the acne, such as chocolate, chips, white rice, white bread and other nutrients that increase the levels of insulin in the bloodstream.
- Enrich your diet with fruits, vegetables, wholegrain foods and food that contain omega-3 fatty acids, such as avocados, walnuts, salmon etc.
- Drink enough water as it helps hydrate and detoxify the whole body, including the skin.
With synthetic medicine at our disposal, we tend to neglect and even forget about the simple and yet beneficial healing properties of essential oils for acne that are capable of correcting bumpiness, pigmentation, texture, and scarring of the skin without putting the already sensitive areas at a greater risk.back to menu ↑