With synthetic medicine at our disposal, we tend to neglect and even forget about the natural and traditional remedies that our ancestors used when treating the symptoms of curable and incurable illnesses.
Essential oils, as one of many natural medicaments, can easily mild and even eradicate the discomfort that women experience before and during the menstruation. Cramps, headaches, tender breasts, mood swings and food craving are just some of the signs of premenstrual syndrome (PMS) that puts a female body in distress.
Because of these recurring monthly trials, women often turn to the prescription drugs that may help the body in the short term, but not the long term as most of the NSADs (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) cause serious side effect such as ulcers on the stomach, kidney damage, allergic reactions etc.
Fortunate enough, essential oils for PMS capture the healing essence of chosen plants that can, when used accordingly, help control the premenstrual syndrome without any side effects.
7 Essential oils for menstrual crampsback to menu ↑
Clary sage essential oil
Clary sage essential oil is emmenagogue agent that is capable of treating the obstructed, irregular or painful menstruations. Natural components such as Sclareol, Linalool, Linalyl Acetate and Neryl Acetate help cure dizziness and mental irritation of premenstrual and even post-menopause syndrome. On top of that, the sedative nature of the oil comes in handy when treating menstrual cramps, bloating, food craving and mood swings.
Furthermore, the antispasmodic qualities found in every drop of the oil are excellent for suppressing the pain of cramps, spasms, stomachaches and headaches associated with dysmenorrhea (painful periods) or any other illness.back to menu ↑
Lavender essential oil
Lavender essential oil is an excellent natural pain-relief agent that is capable of suppressing the pain of tense and sore muscles and joints. This healing property can be easily put to use even when treating the pressure and soreness in the abdominal area caused by the PMS.
On top of that, the stimulating nature of the lavender oil promotes blood circulation that brings oxygen and nutrients to the aching parts of the body that for recuperating purposes require an efficient supply of nourishment. A 2012 study conducted by the American Society for Pain Management Nursing has proven the lavender oil based aromatherapy massage to be effective when treating the pain associated with dysmenorrhea.back to menu ↑
Marjoram essential oil
Marjoram essential oil is emmenagogue agent that helps treat the irregular, obstructed and painful menstruations by relieving the symptoms of the premenstrual syndrome, such as dizziness, headaches, abdominal pain and mood swings.
Furthermore, the antispasmodic, sedative and nervine qualities found in every drop of the oil help relieve the spasms, cramps and muscular pain associated with painful periods and other illnesses by calming, soothing and strengthening the disturbed nerves and tissues. The sedative nature of the oil particularly helps stabilize emotional imbalances significant for PMS.back to menu ↑
Rose essential oil
Rose essential oil as one of many essential oils for menstrual cramps acts as an emmenagogue agent that is capable of stimulating the secretion of hormones responsible for menstruation making the cramps, fatigue, pain and nausea of premenstrual and post-menopause syndrome lose their intensity.
In addition, the uterine qualities found in every drop of the oil help with the treatment of various feminine illnesses, such as uterine discharge, tumors, bleeding and irregular menstruation that is usually accompanied by the abdominal pain, cramping, bloating, mood swings and hormonal imbalances.back to menu ↑
Cinnamon essential oil
Cinnamon essential oil is a traditional natural remedy known for is anti-inflammatory and stimulating qualities that come in handy when treating various symptoms including ones associated with premenstrual syndrome. Stimulating nature of the oil improves blood circulation that brings necessary oxygen and nutrients to the aching abdominal parts making the inflammation of uterus vanish away.
Furthermore, the oil extracted from cinnamon helps treat and prevent the headaches by expanding the blood vessels for better circulation. On top of that, the natural component called Eugenol helps reduce the ulcers in gastrointestinal system that the consumption of painkiller drugs may have caused.back to menu ↑
Clove essential oil
Clove essential oil carries anti-inflammatory and pain-relief qualities that are capable of suppressing and relieving the pain and swelling in all muscles, including those found in the abdominal area that get affected by the premenstrual syndrome.
In addition, the clove essential oil is an excellent natural remedy for reducing fatigue and nausea that the excessive bleeding may cause. Speaking of blood, the manganese, potassium, calcium and magnesium found in every drop of the oil enrich the plasma with necessary minerals that are known for improving the immunity and preventing the symptoms of premenstrual syndrome.back to menu ↑
Geranium essential oil
Geranium essential oil is as one of many essential oils for PMS well known for its anti-inflammatory qualities that have been used for decades for treating the illnesses characterized by inflammation. The latest study conducted by University of California, Davis and published in Journal of Women’s Health suggests that the menstrual pain may be caused by the acute inflammation.
With that being said, the geranium essential oil tackles the very roots of the premenstrual syndrome making the inflammation and consequently pain vanish away. Furthermore, this natural remedy also improves circulation and hormonal imbalances for establishing more resistant metabolism.back to menu ↑
2 Natural essential oil recipes
- Menstrual cramp relief blend
- 18 drops of Clary sage essential oil
- 18 drops of marjoram essential oil
- 10 drops of ginger essential oil
- 5 drops of geranium essential oil
- 3 drops of cinnamon bark essential oil
- Fractionated coconut oil
- Pour the essential oils in exact measurement into the 10 ml roller bottle.
- Fill the rest of the bottle with fractionated coconut oil.
- Close the bottle and turn it upside down couple of times to mix the ingredients thoroughly.
- Massage the blend onto lower abdomen when necessary.
- Cramp prevention mixture for baths and massages
- 15 drops of marjoram essential oil
- 10 drops of lavender essential oil
- 5 drops of Clary sage essential oil
- Pour all essential oils in exact measurements in 5 ml glass dropper bottle.
- Shake bottle to mix the ingredients thoroughly.
Directions for bath:
- In a nonreactive bowl combine 1 tsp of milk with 6 to 10 drops of the cramp prevention mixture.
- Fill your bathtub with water at desired temperature and add the created mixture in it.
- Disperse the bath mixture in water for even distribution.
- Soak in water for 30 minutes and massage the floating drops into your skin.
Directions for massage:
- In a nonreactive bowl mix together 2 tsp of carrier oil of your choice (coconut, sweet almond, jojoba, argan oil etc.) and 6 drops of cramp prevention mixture to create one homogenous compound.
- Massage the blend onto your abdomen, lower back, ankles, and feet.
- Apply the massage blend twice a day or as desired.
Essential oils for PMS are an excellent alternative to the NSADs because the natural components found in every drop of the oil are capable of correcting and relieving the pain, cramps, inflammation, nausea, hormonal and emotional imbalances before and during the menstruation without serious side effects.
To make sure your natural treatment is as successful as anticipated here are the last 4 tips that will help embrace your femininity with open arms.
- Before introducing a new essential oil to your therapy do a skin test patch to make sure you are not allergic to the chosen natural remedy.
- If you have been diagnosed with any other skin condition or have other illness that may get compromised by the essential oil, make sure you consult with your medical specialist beforehand.
- Always use a carrier oil when treating your PMS with massage blends to dilute and mild the intensity of the essential oils and to make your blend more spreadable.
- Make sure you get plenty of rest during the first day of the period as the excessive activity may worsen the pain and cramps.