The modern era we currently live in is characterized by advanced technology that has improved our lives in many ways. Medicine, as one of many fields that have been affected by technological progress, has accepted new contemporary methods of diagnosing and treating before seemingly incurable diseases.
Although the 21st century’s medical progression surely cannot be denied, the world still represents a home to countless of illnesses that science simply hasn’t resolved yet. Fibromyalgia as one of many health conditions without a cure affects millions of people all over the world that often turn to natural remedies usually made of essential oils.
If you have been diagnosed with fibromyalgia and find the muscular pain simply unbearable you are in the right place as this article will introduce you to the list of 10 essential oils for fibromyalgia and give you 3 pain-relief recipes that will help you face the day with confidence.
Knowledge is essential
Knowledge is sometimes the only asset that separates us from success; therefore to help you tackle the fibromyalgia in most strategic way possible here are the answers to main 3 questions that will help you develop a better perspective of your current health state:
- What is fibromyalgia?
Fibromyalgia is a musculoskeletal disorder that according to the statistics affects women at a higher rate than men, with the ratio standing at 7:1. Regardless of the gender, the fibromyalgia is always characterized by the pain due to the overgrowth of fibrous white tissue cells.
The reoccurring pain targets particular areas on the body that are also referred to as the tender points or trigger points. If the patient is sensing ache in at least 11 out of the 18 trigger point, such as elbows, hips, knees, chest etc. the individual shows enough signs for final diagnosis according to the American College of Rheumatology.
If you are wondering why even the slightest pressure put on a trigger point creates so much discomfort it is because the repeated stimulation of same nerves causes the brain’s receptors to develop a memory of the pain making them overreact to even slightest tension.
On top of that the abnormal increase of chemicals (neurotransmitters) that send alarming signals to the center of our nervous system makes our brain even more paranoid when it comes to alarming our body.
- What are the symptoms of fibromyalgia?
Here is a list of general symptoms significant for fibromyalgia:
- Widespread pain that lasts for months at a time
- Stiffness, numbness and tingling sensation in trigger points
- Fatigue and chronic tiredness
- Chronic headaches and migraines
- Cognitive difficulties, such as memory loss and lack of concentration
- Sleep deprivation and insomnia
- Anxiety and depression
- What are the causes of fibromyalgia?
Here is a list of potential causes of fibromyalgia:
- Infections and chronic inflammation
- Physical and emotional trauma
- Allergies to chemicals and certain foods, for instance, gluten intolerance
- Hormonal disorder
- Digestive distress
- Neurotransmitter deficiency
10 essential oils for fibromyalgia
- Rosemary essential oil
Rosemary essential oil is an excellent natural remedy for treating the symptoms of fibromyalgia because the natural components found in every drop of the extract help relieve the pain. Pain as one of the most pronounced signs of fibromyalgia can be easily suppressed with the anti-inflammatory quality of rosemary essential oil whether it is felt in muscles, joints or in head.
Rosemary essential oil is also an excellent booster of mental activity as the studies conducted in 2003 (http://online.liebertpub.com/doi/abs/10.1089/107628004773933299) show that patients who inhaled the fragrance of rosemary oil during the examination showed better cognitive abilities.
Aromatherapy for fibromyalgia based on rosemary essential oil doesn’t only improve the memory and ability to concentrate but also helps relieve the overall stress that may be the very cause of your current health state.
- Black pepper essential oil
Black pepper essential oil is another excellent natural remedy that helps mild the symptoms of illnesses that are associated with excruciating pain, for instance, rheumatism, arthritis, and of course fibromyalgia. The natural components, such as Limonene, Camphene, Linalool, and Sabinene provide a warming sensation that calms the disturbed nerves down when applied on the skin.
The conducted heat also stimulates the blood circulation that helps recover the affected trigger points more efficiently and at a greater pace.
On top of all mentioned benefits, the peppermint essential oil also improves the overall metabolism for better regeneration due to the presence of vitamin A and K and other minerals, such as iron, potassium, calcium and magnesium in every drop.
- Lavender essential oil
Lavender essential oil is another amazing natural alternative to prescription painkillers because the calming and nourishing nature of the extract successfully soothes the body as well as the mind. Oil extracted from lavender efficiently calms the disturbed nerves in trigger points making the pain as well as the soreness lose the intensity.
Lavender oil that can be easily found in the Doterra oils for fibromyalgia line is also an excellent tonic that helps treat back pain, headaches, migraines, emotional stress and depression that are often the symptoms of concerning illness.
On top of that, the overall soothing nature of lavender drops has proven to be an effective natural remedy for insomnia that can worsen a patient’s physical as well as the mental state due to the fatigue and exhaustion.
- Ginger essential oil
Ginger essential oil is extracted from the ZingiberOfficinale root that is in the culinary world used as a fragrant spice and in medicine as an excellent health-booster.
The essential oil extracted from this versatile root has countless benefits including the ability to relieve the pain of arthritis, rheumatism, and fibromyalgia. The natural components found in every drop help reduce the inflammation of musculoskeletal tissue making the widespread pain lose its duration.
The important acid compound, known as Gingerol, additionally helps treat migraines, headaches, depression and anxiety that on top of the aching trigger points represent an additional burden to the patient.
- Peppermint essential oil
Peppermint oil is as one of many essential oils for fibromyalgia excellent natural remedy for treating the pain, inflammation, and spasms of musculoskeletal system. The presence of calcium and cooling ability of every drop reduce the soreness, pain and swelling in most affected areas.
According to the studies conducted in 2007 peppermint essential oil has proven to be an efficient cure for headaches and migraines that are two of the most pronounced symptoms of fibromyalgia.
The healing advantages of peppermint oil don’t end here as the presence of vitamin A, vitamin C, calcium, magnesium and omega-3 fatty acids helps boost immune system giving the body better momentum for self-regeneration.
- Eucalyptus essential oil
Eucalyptus essential oil is an excellent natural remedy for treating the symptoms of fibromyalgia because its anti-inflammatory and stimulating qualities help improve the poor blood circulation that makes the toxins accumulate in most exposed parts of the body increasing the risks of development of new trigger points
Besides, the analgesic features found in the oil help relieve the pain in muscles and joints caused by most musculoskeletal disorders, including but not limited to the fibromyalgia.
Eucalyptus essential oil also helps prevent and treat mental exhaustion caused by the lack of sleep, stress, anxiety or other mental disorders that may develop due to the neurotransmitter deficiency.
- Cypress essential oil
Cypress essential oil is another natural medicament that can ease the pain associated with fibromyalgia. The sedative nature of the oil provides calming and relaxing sensation to mind as well as the body by relieving the stress and anxiety, especially in cases where emotional trauma has manifested itself into fibromyalgia.
Cypress essential oil also acts as an astringent that helps strengthen and tighten the muscles in the whole body keeping the overgrowth of fibrous white tissue cells that trigger the pain of fibromyalgia at bay.
On top of that, the presence of a chemical called Camphene makes the oil excellent for treating external as well as the internal wounds.
- Clary sage essential oil
Clary sage essential oil is an excellent natural remedy for treating the symptoms, as well as the causes, of fibromyalgia because every drop of this worthy substance carries antidepressant, antiseptic, nervine and sedative qualities.
The antidepressant and sedative features help rejuvenate the mind, improve sleep and give mental stability to every patient that has been affected by the deficiency of neurotransmitters that make the brain, as the center of the nervous system, more paranoid when it comes to alarming the body about the pain.
When suppressing the pain directly on trigger points, a patient can rely on the nervine quality of the oil that provides soothing sensation for disturbed muscular nerves.
- Juniper essential oil
Juniper essential oil is another reliable natural remedy for treating the widespread pain and stiffness associated with fibromyalgia. The main components such as Camphene, Sabinene, Terpinene and Cineole give the oil antispasmodic quality that relaxes the tense and contracted muscles increasing the patient’s mobility.
Juniper oil is also an efficient astringent that will help you keep your muscles fit and toned in times when the pain may prevent you from indulging in the daily workout routine.
As the benefits couldn’t get any better, the stimulating nature of juniper oil vitalizes all activities within the body helping the performance of the brain, neurons, and nervous system reach expected potential.
- Marjoram essential oil
Marjoram is a traditional herb used in most world renowned cuisines; therefore it is not a surprise that the oil extracted from this plant is easily accessible and can be found in Dottera oils for fibromyalgia herbal line. The marjoram essential oil has found its place in this particular series because it efficiently reduces the pain associated with musculoskeletal diseases.
The antispasmodic quality of this essential oil helps treat sudden muscular contractions that put additional pressure on already aching knees, shoulders, hips, and elbows.
Natural components such as Cymene, Linalool, Sabinene and Alpha Terpinene enrich the oil with antiseptic, antiviral and bactericidal features that keep the external as well as the internal wounds free of infections and further complications.back to menu ↑
3 essential oil recipes
- Balm for pain
- 6 drops of ginger essential oil
- 15 drops eucalyptus essential oil
- 15 drops of peppermint essential oil
- 10 drops of cloves essential oil
- 2 tablespoons of avocado essential oil
- 2 tablespoons of Vitamin E oil
- 6 oz of virgin coconut oil
- 2 oz of beeswax
- Gently warm the beeswax and coconut oil together in a double boiler.
- Remove the dish from the heat and add avocado oil and Vitamin E oil to the compound.
- Mix in all essential oils in exact measurement to create one homogenous mixture.
- Pour your balm in a labeled glass container and let it cool before sealing the lid.
- Rub the pain balm on the joints when necessary.
- Sweet almond massage blend
- 2 drops of lavender essential oil
- 1 drop of juniper essential oil
- 1 drop of peppermint essential oil
- 1 teaspoon of sweet almond oil
- In a nonreactive bowl combine all ingredients in exact measurements together to create one homogenous compound.
- Massage the aching areas with the blend.
- Essential oil bath
- 5 drops of black pepper essential oil
- 6 drops of marjoram essential oil
- 15 drops of rosemary essential oil
- Mix all ingredients in exact measurements together.
- Store the mixture in an amber bottle.
- Add only 4 drops of the solution to your hot bath.
- Soak in the water for 15-20 minutes.
Although the synthetic medicine hasn’t yet discovered the primary cure for fibromyalgia that doesn’t mean a person should give up as the world of nature offers plenty of natural alternatives that are capable of eradicating the pain associated with musculoskeletal disorders.
Essential oils for fibromyalgia efficiently control the symptoms, such as muscular pain, sleep deprivation, depression, anxiety, and migraines without increasing the risks of dangerous side effects.
To make sure your natural treatment is as successful as anticipated here are the last 10 tips that will help you face the approaching days with ease:
- Eat plenty of fruits and vegetables rich in magnesium and vitamin A, C, E.
- Make sure your diet includes a source of clean and lean protein that will help your muscles preserve energy and functionality.
- Enrich your diet with omega-3 fatty acids that reduce the inflammation and pain associated with fibromyalgia.
- Make sure you eat probiotic foods, such as yogurt, kefir, and sauerkraut that help prevent candidiasis (fungal infection) that is often a cause of fibromyalgia.
- Reduce the intake of gluten and sugar because they are known for increasing the inflammation and pain.
- Avoid processed foods, foods that contain additives and nutrients that may cause allergic reactions, such as gluten, dairy, peanuts, shellfish.
- Establish a lifestyle that is not filled with stress.
- If you have experienced emotional trauma that has triggered the symptoms of fibromyalgia seek help from a professional psychologist.
- Before introducing a new essential oil to your therapy do a skin patch test to make sure you are not allergic to the chosen natural remedy.
- If you have been diagnosed with a certain skin condition or have other illness that may get compromised by the essential oil, make sure to consult with your medical specialist beforehand.